No one likes bad smells. But sometimes, you pull out an old garment or a towel only to be greeted with that unwanted odor. The good news is, you can get rid of musty smells and keep your favorites smelling fresh with some help from Tide.
Why do Clothes Smell Musty?
What causes that smell? When body soils, grime and dirt build up, it causes fabrics to release odors when exposed to moisture. This is especially true when it comes to fabrics like towels. But, you can get rid of these smells altogether with some laundry know-how.
How to Get Rid of Musty Smells in Clothes?
Remove musty smells with Tide + Downy Odor Defense Collection™. Our new line has been designed to tackle annoying odors from garments and towels.
Simple Steps to Remove Musty Smells
Our three simple tips using Tide + Downy Odor Defense Collection™ can help restore freshness to your laundry:
- Toss a 4-in-1 pac of Tide PODS® Plus Febreze Odor Defense™ into your washer. Use two pacs if you have a large load and three if you’re dealing with an extra-large load.
- Achieve the best results with Tide Odor Rescue with Febreze Odor Defense™ as an in-wash booster. Simply add it to your wash along with Tide PODS® Plus Febreze Odor Defense™ laundry detergent in either standard or high-efficiency washers.
- Use Downy Fresh Protect with Febreze Odor Defense™ for freshness. Simply fill to the middle line of the cap for everyday odor protection, or to the top for maximum odor protection. Toss Downy Fresh Protect with Febreze Odor Defense™ into the drum at the beginning of the wash, but do not put in the liquid dispenser or dryer.
Tips to Avoid That Musty Smell in Towels
Fortunately, odors in towels and clothes can be eliminated or avoided when you follow our tips above on how to get rid of musty smells. Downy Fresh Protect with Febreze Odor Defense™ is especially good for preventing or removing off-putting odors from towels, but you can also try some of the following tips for keeping towels nice and fresh!
- Hang your towels up to dry after each use. Even if you only use your towel very lightly, it’s important to air dry your towel away from steam to avoid unpleasant smells.
- Dry towels immediately after washing. If you leave your towels in the washer or sitting around damp, there is more chance mildew will grow on your towel, and you don’t want that!
- Only store your towels when they are completely dry. This avoids the unpleasantness of musty towels.