Red wine goes great with a meal, but those stains do not pair well with your clothes. When that sneaky drop of merlot lands on your favorite dress, let Tide show you how to get rid of wine stains properly. Whether it’s a dark spot of red or a dribble of stray white or rosé, wine stains are tough, but not impossible to remove. Your clothes and table linens can be good as new again with these simple wine remover steps from Tide.
Removing Wine Stains
1. Pour:Pour club soda or cold water onto the wine stain.
2. Remove Excess:Blot with an absorbent cloth.
3. Pre-Treat:Pour Tide Ultra Stain Release Liquid detergent onto the stain, and either rub the fabric together gently, or use a soft-bristled toothbrush to work the detergent into the fibers of the garment. Let it stand for 5 minutes before rinsing again with cold water.
Use the cap to ensure you use the right amount of detergent, and pour it into the detergent dispenser if you have an HE machine, or directly into the drum before loading the clothes if you have a non-HE machine.
5. Wash:Wash on the usual cycle with Tide, on warm. Always be sure to follow the instructions on your garment’s care label.
6. Unload:When the wash cycle is complete, unload the garments immediately.
If the stain persists after washing, repeat the previous steps before tossing in the dryer, as drying will set the stain.
For alternative steps and extra tips on how to remove wine stains, watch the following video.
Remove Tough Wine Stains in One Step
Red wine, specifically, will stain fibers if it's allowed to sit for too long, and exposure to heat can render these stains permanent. To deal with these stains, you need a detergent that can dilute the stain, lift it, and wash it away in one step, without rubbing. Tide Ultra OXI High-Efficiency Liquid detergent is the result of years of laundry know-how and uses built-in pre-treaters to help get your favorites back to their pre-pinot stain glory.
On-the-Go Tips for Removing Wine Stains
Wet a cloth with cold water and blot the stain or run cold water through the back of the stain. If available, use Tide to Go Instant Stain Remover.
- Remove the excess residue from the wine stain.
- Press the tip of the Tide to Go Instant Stain Remover onto the stain several times to release some of the stain remover solution.
- Rub the tip gently across the stain to remove it. If necessary, add more liquid and continue to rub gently.
- Important: If the treated area is exposed to direct sunlight, then wipe with a damp cloth or a napkin to remove excess solution.
Effective Stain Removal for a Variety of Stains
Liquids have the annoying habit of dripping everywhere, and the next thing you know, you've just spilled your glass of wine down your shirt. Luckily, Tide has you covered when it comes to stain removal, from wine stains to other liquid stains like beer, coffee and tea.
Tide can help you with the cleaning by managing tough stain removal and making your whites whiter.